The Last 12 months on Planet Strictly have been… eventful. After heading to numerous tour shows during the early part of the year (to cure our post-strictly blues) Strictly samba’d back onto our screens this September with what has quite possibly been the best series ever. I know we say it every year, but this year was the Best Series ever! Here are 10 things we learnt from Strictly 2017:
1) Don’t judge a book by its cover
Let’s face it! When we heard that Debbie McGee would be on Strictly, we had expectations and no way did we expect her to be as good as she was. I was always told as a child, never to judge a book by its cover. Week after week, she came back and amazed us with technically brilliant performances. She performed death defying lifts which took risks, even made Craig speechless (🙌🏻) and earned the earliest 40 ever awarded on Strictly with her Tango in Week 7. Credit has to go to Giovanni for giving Debbie such beautiful choreography too and pushing her week after week to take her all the way to the final.
2) It doesn’t matter if you’re not a good dancer, but capturing the spirit of Strictly is what will get you far. Not everyone is a natural dancer. Some dances suit some people and others, well don’t! It is the luck of the draw what dance you get given, but if you embrace the Strictly sparkle it will take you far. One person who stands out for us when we say this is Susan Calman. Again, we did not expect much, but she was what Strictly is all about and watching her joy performing every week on the Strictly floor was refreshing and did make us feel all warm and fuzzy. For us, a particular favourite was her Quickstep with Kevin:
3) Brucie may be gone but a part of him will still live on in Strictly We were away when we heard the sad news that Sir Bruce had passed away. He was a Strictly legend who will never be forgotten and we feel that a part of him will still live on in Strictly. The touching tribute from the Strictly pros, as well as some gorgeous Ballroom choreography this year showed that:
4) Katya Jones is the Queen of Choreography When we saw her choreography last year with Ed Balls, we knew that given a good celebrity she would work magic, and she did just that! We’re pretty sure that that Argentine Tango lift (aka Strictly Core Challenge) helped them lift the Glitterball, but throughout the season Katya’s choreography has been outstanding. We’re awarding her our sparkly tiara for Choreography.
5) We 💖 Shirley We did think before the series we would miss Len’s catchphrases and his pickled walnuts, but Shirley has been refreshing. Her technical knowledge and encouragement of all the couples along with her constructive criticism has made us love her as a judge. We’re even tempted to get t-shirts with “I 💖 Shirley” printed on them.
6) Buttongate Those of you who follow our blog and follow us on twitter during the Strictly season will know my 7 year old worries about the pro dancers when they have no buttons on their shirts! It has become known as Buttongate in our house. We’re hoping that she’ll grow out of this phase *inserts a lovely picture of Aljaz, Gio and Pasha*
7) Kevin Clifton is the king of choreography, however a final without him was missing something. Over the past 4 years we had seen a Kevin Clifton Showdance in each and ever final. Sadly, this year he did not reach the final. Yes, it was magical, but we felt the showdances were missing a little Kevin from Grimsby magic *crosses fingers he’s back next year* We must point out that his choreography was 👌🏻 perfect this year. The game of thrones Foxtrot, Morecambe and Wise inspired Quickstep, Wonder Woman Samba and Strictly Ballroom Paso Doble at Blackpool all deserve a glitterball in their own right.
8) Craig can do the best Bruno Tonioli impersonation (ever!) We had one brunoless week this year *falls off her chair in shock* However, Bruno may not have been there, but Craig became Bruno for one night only:
9) Bruno can stay on his chair for a whole 13 weeks. This year, Bruno only fell off his chair once! Yes, once! That was in the final. It’s a pretty impressive achievement in our books and my 7 year old wants to give him a glitterball of his very own!
10) 2017 was the best Series Ever! Strictly keeps getting better and better. Year after year we tell you this and this year’s show was the best series ever. The costumes were amazing, the dances even better, the new pro dance line up was awesome and this year’s cast were our favourite cast yet! If we were to award Strictly one thing, it’d be a glitterball award for continuing to get better and better each year.
There you have it, what we learnt from Strictly 2017. What did 2017 teach you? Tell us by commenting below or tweeting @scd_support to let us know. We look forward to hearing from you.